A Year After Galwan Clash, China Beefing Up Positions Along LAC

A Year After Galwan Clash, China Beefing Up Positions Along LAC

PLA has rotated troops; built fresh infrastructure and hospitals in the area.

Andrew H. Sweet
  • In the first combat fatalities in 45 years, 20 Indian soldiers were killed in the violent clash after they were attacked by Chinese troops in the Galwan Valley on the night of June 15, 2020, during a “de-escalation” process after a month-long stand-off between the troops at several points in eastern Ladakh and Sikkim.
  • China, which initially did not reveal its casualty numbers, later said four of its soldiers had been killed.
  • India and China have so far held 11 rounds of military talks for disengagement and de-escalation in eastern Ladakh since the stand-off began in early May 2020. Defense officials said there was no clarity yet on when the next round of talks would be held.
  • The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has built additional accommodation in the depth areas along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) on its side and is preparing for the long haul, official sources said.
  • The Indian Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson recently said the process of disengagement along the LAC “remains unfinished.” Early completion of disengagement could lead to a de-escalation of forces which would “hopefully” lead to full restoration of peace and tranquillity in the border areas.

Read the original story here.

Comments

Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.