- As the pandemic began to spread in 2020, Beijing used its global media infrastructure to seed positive narratives about China in national media while also mobilizing disinformation, according to a report by the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ).
- According to the report, which is based on an original survey of 54 journalist unions from 50 different countries and territories, China has been using the pandemic to boost its image in global media coverage.
- While Twitter is prohibited in China, many people use it to spark heated debate supporting China's Xinjiang detention camps.
- According to the report's findings, there is growing concern about disinformation and misinformation as tactics. Beijing has increased its news offerings, providing content in "non-Anglophone languages," according to the report.
- A spokesperson for China's Foreign Ministry, responded to the report's comments and defended China's media strategy, saying it deserves a place in the international media landscape.
Read the original story here.
Read the full report here.
Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.