- The bust spanned 23 different major provinces and cities and rounded up more than 170 “criminal gangs,” the Ministry said.
- These arrests are happening amid Chinese authorities fighting to rein in crypto nationwide.
- This, the fifth leg of what local authorities dubbed “Operation Card Broken,” is meant to crack down on fraudsters peddling phone cards and credit cards across international borders.
- Back in late 2020, Chinese President Xi Jinping pushed law enforcement to take a tougher stance on telco fraud after more than 30,000 people were caught committing these sorts of scams in the first half of the year.
- Per the Ministry’s statement, the people caught up in the latest crackdown weren’t only the telco fraudsters themselves, but also folks who offered bitcoin-laundering services to these criminal enterprises.
Read the original story here.
Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.