- Kiwifruits are native to China, but it was New Zealand that perfected the golden variety found on supermarket shelves today.
- SunGold kiwifruits are known for their tangy sweetness and bright yellow flesh. They're smooth in texture and have fewer seeds than their green counterparts.
- New Zealand even has a kiwifruit regulator that makes decisions on all national issues pertaining to the little furry fruit. At the moment, there is one brewing between local growers, the owner of the SunGold copyright, and China.
- Central to the story is Mr. Haoyu Gao, accused of smuggling cuttings of the prized SunGold to China's Sichuan province, enabling local farmers to cultivate several orchards of counterfeit plants.
- Now New Zealand needs to decide how to deal with China — SunGold kiwifruit lover, customer, and "pirate."
- Americans are ready to put behind the pandemic and embark on new, brighter times.
Read the original story here.
Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.