Russia is trying to achieve several goals, which can be divided into three groups.
The first is domestic goals, which are:
- To receive the required number of correct votes, which will strengthen the position of the ruling party - United Russia
- To gauge the support level from citizens who fought in the war in eastern Ukraine and create the illusion of their importance.
The second group is international goals related to existing negotiation formats on conflict settlement:
- To gain recognition for the occupied territories of Donetsk and Luhansk, thereby masking Russia’s role in the conflict.
- To create an additional range of challenges for the Ukrainian side within the existing negotiation formats, i.e., raising the issue of recognition of Russian passports for the residents of the occupied territories of eastern Ukraine by the Ukrainian side.
The third group is goals related to occupied territories themselves:
- To partially extinguish the dissatisfaction with the uncertainty that is felt today by the residents of the occupied territories of eastern Ukraine.
- To distract the occupied territories' population from the reality that Russia is not coping with its obligations as an occupying party.
Read the original story here.
Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.