- The unit has only one inmate under its direct management – the man murdered 51 people at two mosques on March 15, 2019.
- The Australian terrorist was jailed for life without parole on August 27 last year after admitting 51 charges of murder, 40 of attempted murder, and one of committing a terrorist act.
- Corrections national commissioner said they established the 'prisoners of extreme risk' unit in direct response to the arrest of the Australian behind the massacre.
- The law does not allow New Zealand to send prisoners overseas to complete sentences. Still, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern previously said she would ask the families of the victims their views.
- She has also spoken to Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison about the possibility of the terrorist being transferred to Australia to serve his sentence.
Read the original story here.
Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.