- Washington announced sanctions on several Ethiopian and Eritrean officials over the conflict in the Tigray region last week.
- Demonstrators also carried banners bearing the photos of Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping, as they chanted against ‘America’s aggression.’
- It was the second time in three days that Russia, which had had a limited role in Africa until its 2017 intervention in the Central African Republic, was receiving favorable sentiments at a political rally in Africa.
- Protestors at a pro-army march in Bamako, Mali’s capital, on Thursday waved Russian flags as they showed support for Colonel Assimi Goita, who declared himself President after dismissing transitional leader Bah Ndaw.
- They also waved placards denouncing former colonial ruler France, which maintains a sizeable military presence in the Sahel country beset by coups and a militant insurgency.
Read the original story here.
Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.