The deadly shipwreck of a boat off southern Italy has spotlighted the perilous journeys made by thousands of people who cross the Mediterranean each year.
More than 100 people, including children, are feared to have died after their boat sank in rough seas off southern Italy on Sunday.
The vessel, thought to have carried some 200 people, broke apart while trying to land near Crotone.
According to the BBC, the coastguard said 80 people had been found alive, “including some who managed to reach the shore after the sinking,” meaning many more remain unaccounted for.
Italy is one of the main landing points for migrants trying to enter Europe by sea, with many seeking to travel to more prosperous northern European nations. But to do so, they must brave the world’s most dangerous migration route, Reuters said.
According to monitoring groups, more than 20,000 people have died or gone missing at sea in the central Mediterranean since 2014.