Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Thursday that the federal government could expand its planned buyback of longer-dated Treasury debt beyond the announced $4 billion level, according to CNBC.
Treasury said Wednesday that it would double its scheduled buyback from $2 billion to $4 billion. Bessent said the department intends to “make a market” in longer-term securities, where yields have recently climbed sharply.
The 30-year Treasury yield was recently around 5.235%. The long-term bond had been trading at levels not seen since before the 2008 global financial crisis.
The move comes as the Trump administration seeks to manage borrowing conditions while addressing elevated yields in the long end of the Treasury market.
Related Tweet:
BREAKING: US Treasury Secretary Bessent says Treasury buybacks announced yesterday could now MORE than double, exceeding $4 billion per operation.
— The Kobeissi Letter (@KobeissiLetter) August 20, 2026
Bessent said buybacks will increase “by at least double,” adding, “we have a big toolkit, so we’ll see.”
This comes just hours… https://t.co/SLNs0MfTgD
Also Read:

