A whopping 67 percent are either unaware of or not sure about Special Counsel John Durham's ongoing criminal probe into the 2016-2017 investigation codenamed "Crossfire Hurricane." Only 33% of those polled by TechnoMetrica are aware of the investigation.
Eighty-three percent of those aware of the Durham investigation believe the Obama administration was aware of or influenced the "Crossfire Hurricane" investigation.
Almost three-quarters (73%) think Special Counsel John Durham should question President Biden as part of the investigation.
Those were the key findings from the recent TIPP Poll conducted in early April. We asked follow-up questions among the 33% who are aware of the probe.
The first question was," In your opinion, how likely is it that the Obama-Biden White House knew about the "Crossfire Hurricane" probe or influenced it in any way before and/or after the 2016 election?"
A whopping 83% answered - likely:
- 57% very likely,
- 26% somewhat likely,
- 8% not very likely,
- 6% not at all likely
By ideology, the opinion was nearly unanimous among conservatives. The share who believed that the Obama White House knew or influenced the probe:
- 94% of conservatives,
- 71% of moderates, and
- 68% of liberals
The fact that most different ideologies agree demonstrates that the importance of the issue extends beyond partisan differences.
Why Is Durham Report Important?
The matter Special Counsel Durham is investigating is an unsolved puzzle of great import. Many believe that it is the only remaining hope for determining whether the FBI opened investigations into four Trump campaign advisers during the 2016 election with or without proper "predication" and whether the FBI illegally surveilled at least one of those campaign advisors.
While most conservatives believe that the Obama-Biden White House knew about or influenced "Crossfire Hurricane," Obama administration officials had publicly ridiculed Trump when he said there was spying on his campaign.
President Trump expected the Durham report to be released before the election.
Low Awareness Of The Durham Probe
Former Attorney General William Barr appointed John Durham, the former U.S. Attorney in Connecticut under President Trump, to probe the origins of the investigation into connections between the Trump campaign and Russia, called the FBI's “Crossfire Hurricane” operation.
Durham probe started in spring 2019. Barr announced in early December that Durham had been re-designated as a special counsel as of mid-October to ensure that the Durham investigation would reach proper completion regardless of who was elected.
John Durham is not covered as much as Robert Mueller, the other special counsel who investigated Trump-Russia collusion. Only 33% are aware of the Durham probe. The awareness is
- 45% for conservatives,
- 26% for moderates, and
- 30% for liberals
The media has underplayed the story, a reason for the low awareness about the probe. Professor Jonathan Turley blasted the media for its willful blindness on spying by the Obama administration.
Should Durham Question Biden?
Nearly three out of four (73%) think that Special Counsel John Durham should question President Biden as part of the investigation. The thinking is shared by
- 86% of conservatives
- 56% of moderates, and
- 62% of liberals
President Trump recently posed the following question: "Where's Durham? Is he a living, breathing human being? Will there ever be a Durham report?"
The FBI adopted the term Crossfire Hurricane from the Rolling Stones' song "Jumpin' Jack Flash," which begins with Mick Jagger proclaiming, "I was born in a crossfire hurricane."
Durham is the only one who can confirm whether the FBI's Crossfire Hurricane was born with or without proper "predication."
In the end, only time will tell.
- New Zealand's Foreign Minister, Nanaia Mahuta, has sent a clear signal that the country will chart a more independent foreign policy, directly criticizing efforts to pressure China through the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing group.
- The Five Eyes group – which includes the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand – was initially formed as an intelligence-sharing network but has expanded its scope in the past few years.
- Ms. Mahuta says the Five Eyes group should focus solely on intelligence sharing.
- She said New Zealand wanted mutually respectful ties with China, comparing the relationship to a "dragon and taniwha" in reference to a water-dwelling serpent in Maori mythology.
- She also issued a thinly veiled warning about rising debt levels in the Pacific, although she did not single out China.
- Tensions have also flared, mostly behind closed doors, between Australia and New Zealand over how to handle Beijing.
- Russia's RDIF sovereign wealth fund said it had agreed with Hualan Biological Bacterin to produce more than 100 million doses of the Sputnik V vaccine against COVID-19 in China.
- RDIF said the two sides were committed to a long-term partnership in vaccine production.
- Germany's Green Party has named Annalena Baerbock as its candidate for chancellor.
- She is said to be tough, talented, and very ambitious.
- Annalena Baerbock is the Green party's first-ever chancellor candidate.
- She's spoken out on the threats posed by far-right populism and xenophobia.
- She wants to see Germany phasing out coal-powered energy far earlier than the current target date of 2038.
- Ethiopia has declared a state of emergency in the southern part of the Amhara region to stem deadly ethnic violence.
- Ethiopia's chief ombudsman, Endale Haile, told AFP news agency that violence in Amhara had already killed more than 300 people over several days in March.
- The latest violence appears to have targeted Oromia special zones in the country's second-most populous regional state.
- The Amhara region is dominated by the ethnic Amhara group – Ethiopia's second-largest, but the Oromo special zone is populated mainly by Oromos, the country's largest ethnic group.
- Ethiopia, Africa's second-most populous country, comprises ten semi-autonomous federal states organized along ethnic lines, and ethnic violence has soared in recent years.
Sign in or become a tippinsights member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.