Skip to content

Trump Defends $1.7 Billion Anti-Weaponization Fund

In a Truth Social post, Trump said he could have pursued a major financial settlement tied to his lawsuit against the IRS over the leak of his tax returns and the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago

President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump on Friday defended the Justice Department’s new $1.7 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” saying he personally allowed the initiative to proceed despite earlier claiming he had no involvement in its creation.

In a Truth Social post, Trump said he could have pursued a major financial settlement tied to his lawsuit against the IRS over the leak of his tax returns and the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago. Instead, he said he chose to support Americans whom he described as victims of “lawfare” under the Biden administration.

CBS News reported that Trump had earlier stated he “wasn’t involved” in negotiating or creating the program. The White House later said there was no contradiction because Trump did not directly shape the fund, though he could have blocked it by settling his own case differently.

The Justice Department said the fund would compensate individuals allegedly harmed by political targeting. Lawmakers from both parties are now demanding more transparency about eligibility and oversight.

The report said some Jan. 6 defendants and former Trump associates have already expressed interest in seeking compensation.

Also Read:

DOJ Creates $1.776 Billion ‘Anti‑Weaponization Fund’ After Trump IRS Settlement
The funding is the result of a settlement in the case of President Donald Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, where the president and members of his family sued the agency over the release of their tax returns

Comments

Latest