President Donald Trump announced Thursday that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, creating fresh uncertainty over Washington’s military strategy in Europe after recent troop reductions elsewhere on the continent.
Trump said the move was tied to his strong relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he previously endorsed. The announcement came just days after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth halted a planned armored brigade deployment to Poland and other Eastern European nations.
🚨 JUST IN: Trump says he’ll be deploying 5,000 troops to POLAND, shortly after WITHDRAWING 5,000 from Germany
— Nick Sortor (@nicksortor) May 21, 2026
If our troops have to be in Europe, Poland is the place for them!
Poland’s President is MUCH friendlier to America than Germany’s chancellor. pic.twitter.com/pEpJMUM7f6
Earlier this month, Trump also announced the withdrawal of 5,000 American troops from Germany following tensions with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz over comments related to the Iran conflict.
Polish officials later suggested troop levels in the country would remain largely unchanged at around 10,000 personnel. NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte welcomed the announcement but emphasized Europe’s long-term goal of becoming less dependent on a single ally.
The Pentagon’s recent cancellation of troop rotations reportedly drew criticism from lawmakers, including Republican Rep. Don Bacon, who called the decision an embarrassment for U.S.-Poland relations.
Also Read:

