A report from The New York Times claims the United States and Israel discussed a possible regime change strategy in Iran that unexpectedly included former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a potential successor.
According to the report, Israeli officials developed a multistage plan aimed at reshaping Iran’s leadership after the opening strikes of the conflict that began on Feb. 28. The report said Ahmadinejad had been briefed on the proposal but later distanced himself after being injured during the early stages of the war.
The New York Times reports Israel and the U.S. discussed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a potential post-Khamenei leader, and that a strike on his Tehran home was intended to extract him from house arrest. Trump advisors called the plan "unrealistic."
— IranWire (@IranWireEnglish) May 20, 2026
More: https://t.co/1MaNnzSgUg pic.twitter.com/qQU5tpeCEx
The initial strikes reportedly killed Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, though details surrounding the broader strategy remain unclear.
Officials cited by the report said some inside the U.S. government questioned whether Ahmadinejad could realistically lead Iran given his controversial political history and strong support for Iran’s nuclear program during his presidency from 2005 to 2013.
The White House has not publicly commented on the report. President Donald Trump has repeatedly stated that Operation Epic Fury was focused on destroying Iran’s nuclear and military capabilities, not formally pursuing regime change.
Also Read:


