Diplomatic efforts between the United States and Iran intensified Thursday as both sides signaled cautious progress toward a possible agreement aimed at ending the ongoing conflict and limiting Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
According to Iran’s semiofficial ISNA news agency, recent U.S. proposals have “reduced the gaps” between Washington and Tehran. The report said Pakistan’s army chief traveled to Tehran to help facilitate negotiations and move both sides closer to formally accepting a memorandum of understanding.
Iran says it is reviewing Washington's latest position on ending war after US President Donald Trump suggested he was prepared to wait a few days to "get the right answers" from Tehran but warned of renewed attacks if it did not agree to deal pic.twitter.com/o6Zmh5IFNA
— TRT World Now (@TRTWorldNow) May 21, 2026
President Donald Trump said negotiations were in their “final stages” but warned military action remained possible if the United States failed to receive the “right answers” from Iran. Trump also said earlier this week that Gulf leaders urged him to delay planned strikes to allow diplomacy to continue.
The talks have largely focused on Iran’s nuclear program and restoring shipping access through the Strait of Hormuz, a key global energy route disrupted by the conflict.
Meanwhile, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard warned of broader regional escalation if attacks resume, while the U.S. military confirmed intercepting an Iranian-linked tanker near the Strait.
Also Read:


