Law enforcement agencies across Los Angeles increased patrols around mosques and religious institutions after a deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego left five people dead, according to police.
Authorities said two suspected gunmen, ages 17 and 19, opened fire Monday morning at the mosque in San Diego’s Clairemont neighborhood while classes were underway at an on-site school. Police said the attackers later died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. A security guard was among the victims killed.
San Diego police said the mother of one of the suspected gunmen in a deadly mosque shooting had warned authorities hours earlier that her son was suicidal, armed and missing along with several weapons and a vehicle https://t.co/ikzJgV0ptm pic.twitter.com/0a1Lle5Jt0
— Reuters (@Reuters) May 19, 2026
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said it was assessing potential threats and boosting patrols near critical sites. The Los Angeles Police Department also announced additional security at mosques and houses of worship across the city.
Mayor Karen Bass condemned the attack, calling houses of worship “true sanctuaries.” Federal agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation and ATF, are assisting the investigation.
Also Read:
Why President Trump Is Suing The IRS And Treasury For $10 Billion
Tehran Signals Doubts Over U.S. Negotiations